Saturday 11 July 2009

A comment of anger and panic attacks - finding a cure


Chickenista left the following comment on my post "Don't torture yourself". She writes:
When I get an attack I do the deep breathing and walk. I can't stand to just sit. It makes it worse. But sometimes that doesn't even help and I end up talking my meds..... I get very angry too while its happening because I can't control it. That doesn't help.
Yes, it is a common reaction which I have had too, the anger at oneself. To be honest you are doing yourself an injustice. The inability to control the oncome of a panic attack, is not your fault. If we could control it we would not be having panic attacks. Yes, I understand your frustration but getting angry with yourself only makes you feel bad about yourself and it lowers your self-esteem. I think the good thing about what you are saying is that you have the ability to do your deep breathing and walking inspite of the attack. That is great. Sometimes you are right - even that does not always work. But don't get angry at yourself, be kind to yourself. Anger is a negative emotion and a negative emotion about yourself is to be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment